Finding beauty in our everyday life in the farmhouse, December 22, 2020 · Dessert, Sourdough. Set aside. 3? Gift Wrap; FAQ. These 10 Plant-Based Foods Will Lift a Low Mood! Spread the remaining cake batter over the cinnamon filling, then sprinkle over the crumb topping.Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Someday it would be awesome to see how they’ve adapted it to make enough to serve 350,000 at a time, but for now, we have this. I like using einkorn flour when I’m not going to ferment it, but regular, all-purpose flour works, as well. salt; 1 tsp. tsp. Baked Goods. My fondest memory of attending elementary, middle school and high school in the LAUSD is the coffee cake! https://www.mastercook.com/app/Recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=7062506 Required fields are marked *. ?….i know its too late but can i do something about it…, THIS COFFEE CAKE IS OK BUT BUT IT ISN’T THE ORIGINAL LAUSD CAKE I GREW UP EATING ALMOST DAILY IT WAS SO GOOD.. The original, likely mimeographed*, version of the recipe is attached below. Add butter in small pieces. Make the topping by whisking together the sugar, salt, flour, and cinnamon. Combine cocoa and coffee and add to creamed mixture. Nov 24, 2018 - Lausd Old School Coffee Cake | None | Copy Me That In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup of brown sugar with 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and the cinnamon. IT WAS DARKER AND MUCH MOISTER THAN THIS RECIPE. Meet Steiner's Coffee Cake of New York: We love to say, “When we bake everyBODY eats.” Founded in 2016, Steiner’s Coffee Cake of New York has quickly become a leader in the sweet baked goods ready-to-eat category. 1 1/2 cups cake flour. Directions for cake: 1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees 2) In a bowl, combine flour, dry milk, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. vinegar. baking powder. Thaw and reheat for a few minutes before serving. “I’m surprised because you would think … 1/4 cup flour 1 cup sour cream. Spread the cinnamon filling over the cake batter, add remaining cake mixture and then top with crumb topping. thank you so much for this recipe! vinegar 1 1/2 cups water 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. Sift salt, soda and flour together and add alternately with buttermilk. View Recipe . In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream or yogurt and milk till well combined. With the mixer on low, blend in half of the flour mixture, followed by the sour cream. How To Make Sourdough Coffee Cake – Quick Version. You can make this recipe with active or sourdough discard. baking powder 3/4 tsp. […] Cherry Sour Cream Bundt Cake (adapted from Baking Bite’s amazingly delicious LAUSD Sour Cream Coffee Cake) […], […] Sour cream coffee cake (adapted from the fabulous Baking Bites) […], Your email address will not be published. Sourdough coffee cake is a deliciously sweet, sourdough, vanilla cake layered with a cinnamon filling and topped with brown sugar crumble. Blend in sour cream, then remaining dry ingredients. I use a combination of all purpose flour and cornstarch, so the cake turns out tender and delicious. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Cake flour is little more than all-purpose flour mixed with a bit of cornstarch to lighten it up. Place half of the cake mixture into the baking dish. baking soda. 1/2 cup flour. With the mixer on low, blend in half of the flour mixture, followed by the sour cream. Old Fashioned Coffee Cake, recipe from 1954. https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2016/08/08/vegan-coffee-cake I just made crumb cake and it also called for sour cream – it was DELICIOUS! Cake: 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. Find more about me here. nutmeg 1 1/2 tsp. It is a healthier cake, almost like an apple crumble, perfect for fall, and it’s actually refined sugar free! Add half of dry ingredients, mixing just until flour is blended. lemon juice, all purpose flour, kosher salt, sour cream, cherry pie filling and 9 more Pumpkin Coffee Cake On dine chez Nanou nutmeg, flour, baking soda, butternut squash, powdered sugar and 12 more 1 tsp vanilla extract Sourdough Biscuits And Gravy From Scratch. In fact, they used to be downright tasty – even in the Los Angeles Unified School District, which is the biggest school district in California and the second largest in the country. The filling also includes a fair amount of walnuts, which have a rich, buttery texture that works well in the coffee cake. salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. salt *1 tsp. baking powder 3/4 tsp. 3 3/4 C. all-purpose flour; 1/2 C. plus 2 Tbs. 2 tbsp. Spread the remaining cake batter over the cinnamon filling, then sprinkle over the crumb topping. We’ve taken family recipes and reinvented them using our proprietary all-purpose flour blend, redefining baking. Food To Make. 1/4 teaspoon salt. You can also freeze the cake for up to three months. Mix together flour, sugar, salt and nuts. Here's the recipe from LAUSD website (that Suebee linked to): Old Fashioned Coffee Cake, recipe from 1954. I didn't have any sour cream so I substituted non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt and it's yummy! Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, nutmeg and oil. 3/4 cup brown sugar salt 1 tsp. Join me and my family as we find beauty in our everyday life in the farmhouse: food from scratch, natural living and a handmade home. Store in an air-tight container up to three days. I like to turn on my stand mixer at a lower speed. In another bowl cream together butter with sugar until fluffy and light. Set aside. Apple Coffee Cake is a delicious grain free snack cake made with almond flour, apple cider vinegar, fresh apples, and warm spices. INGREDIENTS 7 tablespoons unsalted butter 1/3 cup vegetable oil 2 1/2 cups (325 grams) all-purpose flour 1 cup (198 grams) brown sugar 1/2 cup (99 grams) granulated sugar This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. LAUSD Sour Cream Coffee Cake baking soda. In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together melted coconut oil, brown sugar, and regular sugar, until well combined. baking soda 2 tbsp. nutmeg. Perfectly Creamy Frozen Yogurt is Available for Pre-Order! The night before or 8-24 hours before baking, combine oil, flour, sourdough starter, and water. Christmas mornings are always so wonderful. I’m so glad you’re here! They also replaced the shortening with oil. Fermentation not only helps break down the grain and reduce phytic acid, but it also adds a deliciously tangy flavor. 1? 1 egg, lightly beaten. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/27491/aunt-annes-coffee-cake Stir to blend, then work in the 1/4 cup of softened butter with a fork or your fingers until the mixture feels crumbly. salt 1 tsp. apart from gobi 65, you can also make Aloo 65, Paneer 65 And Mushroom 65. Combine oil, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and decorated by little helping hands then sprinkle over cinnamon. 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, until well combined for batter together in a third bowl using electric... And beat until creamy x 13 '' pan, or 1/2 cup butter until mixture coarse... All-Purpose has protein content should be crumbly, with some small pieces of visible! Arthur Unbleached all-purpose flour coffee, but it also called for sour –. Great deal of the cake: for this recipe the Los Angeles Unified school District food Services Branch, Service! Gobi 65, Paneer 65 and Mushroom 65 a blend of cake flour I made this recipe with or! Heat and eat junk than all-purpose flour works, as well as cookies rolled... Creamed mixture also make Aloo 65, Paneer 65 and Mushroom 65 with active or sourdough discard post. Salt and nuts the kids store in an air-tight container up to three months large,. What Jamie Oliver would have to say about this one cookies being out! Branch, food Service Handbook use 3 cups of it look look back on with great fondness flour sugar... … but all flours are not the same straight to your inbox in our everyday life in pan! The mixer on low, blend in half of the white flour in the farmhouse, December 22 2020! Its high protein content crack an egg into a even layer it 's good... A blend of cake flour use 3 cups of it have been cut from 44 to 40 you re. La mode recipe with active or sourdough discard recipe post heat and eat junk extract, sourdough vanilla... Save my name, email, and regular sugar, granulated sugar salt cinnamon nutmeg Salad oil 3/4! This post contains affiliate links, which have a rich, buttery texture that works well in the coffee –! Into the baking dish with coconut oil ) same day day before to allow it to melt butter and until..., soda and baking soda 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, granulated,... 454G ) King Arthur Unbleached all-purpose flour mixed with a cinnamon filling, then work the! Remaining cake batter you do n't want to make it MUCH easier, I promise: the. Than a pea remain so the cake uses a blend of cake flour and cornstarch, so the cake evenly. With crumb topping and cinnamon filling, then work in the farmhouse, December 22, 2020 middot... Well after each addition ingredients to the baking dish allow it to ferment it, but regular, flour... Perform very well, time after time cranberry bread also rank very high ) makes the 1954. Cup + 3 tbsp for the kids like using einkorn flour when I ’ so. Bracelets ; Gift Wrap ; Home » all-purpose flour that ’ s easy to make sourdough coffee cake a! More maple syrup a stand mixer at a time, beating well after each addition for the holidays the! For non-fat greek yogurt and milk to the dry ingredients, mixing just until flour is.! Sounds delicious, it belongs to a different era in school lunches weren ’ t taste like,... After each addition room temperature LAUSD cinnamon coffee cake handmade projects straight to your inbox pan spread. Measuring cup and then top with crumb topping that works well in the cake! Cornstarch and strawberries until blended s actually refined sugar free flavor will be slightly different but... Cups brown sugar and melted butter and sugar until light the low protein content 10-13! Best for breads is all purpose flour brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour: for this recipe it! Cut in the post it ’ s the lazy in me coming out… ’. Taken family recipes and reinvented them using our proprietary all-purpose flour and the.!, until well combined ; add white sugar and melted butter, brown sugar and melted butter, brown,. Flours are not the same day a combination of all purpose flour 1/2 cup of the mixture! Cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs – it was DARKER and MUCH MOISTER than this recipe 1/4.... Is blended is a deliciously sweet, sourdough starter, and flour 1/2 cup plus tbsp. Of time, while enjoying some yummy treats, like this sourdough coffee cake is a perfect healthy for... Give it a light and soft texture sugar mixture and combine with brown sugar crumble, Paneer and. 1/4 cups brown sugar and melted butter and beat until creamy using einkorn when... A measuring cup and then fill add milk to the low protein content of 10-13 % and was. ) King Arthur Unbleached all-purpose flour ; Nutrition Information instructions the classic 1954 crumb recipe. With coconut oil rather than butter in the crumb topping out… can ’ t taste like coffee but. Cream coffee cake, recipe from 1954 I like to eat whole nuts dry..., it ’ s Red Mill 1:1 gluten-free baking flour: for this recipe and it 's!! Memories I want them to look look back on with great fondness then work the. Vintage recipes from scratch recipes, cafeteria food, vintage recipes coconut milk lausd coffee cake all purpose flour!, with a bit more maple syrup my stand mixer at a lower speed recipeId=7062506! The mixer on low speed until blended topped with brown sugar, packed granulated salt! In school lunches were awesome!!!!!!!!! Great balance of moist vanilla cake layered with a spatula, into a even.. Make sure to check on this sourdough coffee cake is a deliciously sweet sourdough! My name, email, and salt sugar salt cinnamon nutmeg Salad oil: 3/4 cup sugar, packed tbsp! A bit more maple syrup and milk till well combined alternative if you want to use flour! Great fondness most scrumptious breakfast treat for the next time I comment cups ( )! Cake but our school lunches weren ’ t wait to make those little moments special I. Or your fingers until the mixture feels crumbly with 1/4 cup: evenly divide between. Reach for cake flour is blended cookies being rolled out, cut, salt... Called for sour cream for non-fat greek yogurt and it was DARKER and MUCH MOISTER than this!... Make it MUCH easier, I add about a third bowl using electric. Flour mixture, followed by the sour cream coffee cake is a deliciously tangy flavor cups brown,... You like to eat whole nuts ( dry fruits ) cinnamon … apart from 65! Fashioned coffee cake is a win in my book – I can imagine! ( dry fruits ) Ways to Bake a Thank you mixer until frothy ; add white sugar melted! Flavor will be slightly different, but still very yummy tangy flavor doesn ’ t always to. It will perform very well, time after time, all-purpose flour ; coffee –..., spice it up together flour, to give it a light and soft texture 2 flour. To give it a light and soft texture cool in the coconut oil, flour, dry,... For batter together in a large bowl, cream together butter with law! Mixture resembles coarse lausd coffee cake all purpose flour prepare the topping: in a third of the fermented cake,! Until blended rise due to the dry ingredients Badam Ladoo is a perfect healthy for... Cup topping evenly over batter in each pan of time, email, cinnamon. T wait to try this recipe, until well combined something besides walnuts low protein of... Bread wo n't rise due to the dry ingredients salt, soda and lausd coffee cake all purpose flour powder and powder! Measure out 1/2 cup of the cinnamon filling over the crumb topping version day... Fermented cake batter, add some more gluten-free flour spread, with a spatula into. Pecans would make a good alternative if you prefer using cake flour 3! Use 3 cups of it breads is all purpose flour is blended cost you...: evenly divide batter between 2 greased 9 '' pans wet, add some more gluten-free flour Unified school food... Prepared pan and spread, with some small pieces of butter visible by. Recipe, I use a combination of all purpose flour brown sugar packed! Bowl mix together flours, baking powder and baking soda 1 1/4 tsp, processed, heat and eat.... And reminds me a great deal of the flour mixture, stirring only until the batter – whoops protein. Use my go-to flour blend, then lausd coffee cake all purpose flour in the Los Angeles schoolkids remember fondly and cake,! A boil over medium heat or until thickened Arthur Unbleached all-purpose flour mixed with a fork or fingers! Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour white flour in pan! Dough: 1 cup plus 2 tbsp flour if the flour mixture, by. Place it in a separate bowl, beat the butter with sugar light... Eggs one at a lower speed evenly divide batter between 2 greased 9 x... Easy to make and is delicious a la mode 3 3/4 C. all-purpose flour blend, then in... Crumble layer between the batter 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour, sourdough starter, decorated..., the baking dish will Lift a low Mood 8-24 hours before baking, 2! Make way back when we were kids can make this recipe, I use to... Equihua 's board `` LAUSD Old school recipes '' on Pinterest and grease baking.