To use sour milk, try baking with it since it will cover up the sour taste. If you are concerned about using sour milk to make cottage cheese, I understand and you can use this recipe to make cottage cheese from fresh milk instead. Thanks for reading! Are you tired of dumping sour milk down the drain? Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. All that sour milk throughout the years that I just threw down the drain. Just hoping this will taste better than it smells right now. I never have a problem with cottage cheese going bad in our fridge, but this pretty much disappeared pronto! Great idea, Mary! I really do not care as long as he is healthy. It should be fine, Marta. Then, add 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice one teaspoon at a time, stirring the milk after each addition. . Love to hear from you…thanks for stopping by! To apply it on your face, dilute it with water and rub it into your face. I had a batch of raw milk that smelled fishy when I tried to make cheese from it. Refrigerate milk for a few hours and then strain water completely. You’ll need to use whole milk for this ricotta cheese recipe — it’s the fat in the milk that transform into the curds that make cheese. Francis UK. Here are a few more ideas for using it up! If you like cheese, tie the sour milk up in a cheesecloth and hang it over a bowl in the fridge until it stops dripping. Because this seemed easy! Let me do a little searching to see what might have gone wrong. Hi Deb, Spoilt milk is broken milk. I made the mistake of stirring a little too much when I added the salt and cream in and it broke up a little more than I would have liked but it tasted excellent. Consuming a tall pour of spoiled milk likely leads to one thing: food poisoning. Once it begins to boil, reduce heat to low and slowly stir in vinegar. Cheese is made the same way — by curdling milk — except the milk is curdled on purpose. P.S. You might want to try increasing the vinegar to see if more of the curds will separate from the whey. Just stir the cream in as it heats. Can i make it without adding cream? Can you make any other cheeses without rennet at home?? Use it to make bread or crackers, or cook polenta or beans with it, or add it to a smoothie. I ended up with a quart of whey and about a cup to a cup and a half of curds. Thanks for stopping by, Lisa! I would heat and see if that improves the flavor. You can use the whey for replacing liquids in many recipes. Make homemade cheese. This Site Uses Cookies… The Self Sufficient HomeAcre is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. All the trappings for freshly-made, creamy ricotta. Hi Moondrop, Steps to make cheese Heat the milk. But when I do, you can bet I will be making more cheese! If you need more convincing: When these dairy products are made at home, they are really incredibly fresh-tasting, sweet, and creamy, and it’s hard to find anything quite like them at a store. The only problem is that each site gave different instructions and they didn’t say how sour your milk can be and still be usable for cottage cheese. 3. I know some people eat raw cultured milk and butter, that I wouldn’t like the flavor of. Sour milk is perfect for creating some homemade cheese, just like they did in the old days. Lisa, Or you can heat the soured milk to get a quicker separation of the curds and whey. Baking With Spoiled Milk. I did this and then wondered why you would need to rinse the curds? I am 67 now, and my family left our dairy farm when I was 7. . It was in the fridge dated 12/26. salt to flavor. Proceed with instructions. NO CURDS whatsoever. I have found several sites online that gave instructions for making cottage cheese from sour milk. Didn’t work for me but I was going to trow the milk out anyway. When I find marked down milk at the grocery store, I use it for frugal yogurt, cheese, and baking. On the other hand, a number of people have commented that their milk never separated. As soon as it boils, add the lemon juice and then turn off the heat. The instructions that I read said to heat sour milk until curds and whey separated (without vinegar). Congrats on 2+ years of the homemaker hop! Not sure if this applies with pasteurized milk as I have a dairy cow. Thank you! Drop Vereniki in a pot of boiling water and cook slowly for ten minutes. Sorry I don’t have a lot of info to share on those. I hope you like it! However, in the future, I won’t spend much time rinsing the curds. Here raw milk sales are legal under certain circumstances. Hi Raven, I followed your recipe and it worked! So I bought a half-gallon of raw cow’s milk from my local market and tried it out. I have a question, you said you could use milk that hasnt soured, what is the difference between them? I also tried making it on the countertop…but it turned bitter and nasty and never jellied. Unlike cheese, milke does not (I repeat, does not) get better with age. when I put the vinegar in and stirred, it separated, but into little bitty tiny globs. Yes, there are LOTS of uses for whey. My feeling is that there was some bacteria in the milk that caused the protein to form a stretchy texture rather than curds. I’m so glad you liked it I’m sure that it is safe to freeze your cottage cheese, but you may notice a change in the texture. Thank you for sharing this, Neharika! I found this on The Chicken Chick blog party. Now add one cup of milk and whisk it till the mixture become smooth. I’m happy to share this, Aimee! Each time…I always get a stretchy…fresh mozarella type cheese. Most cheese is made in factories. Hi Lang…It occurred to me after my reply that goat milk doesn’t separate as cow milk does. Thanks for letting me know how your batch turned out! $(window).load(function(){ This site uses cookies to track your purchases through Amazon. Wolfe City, Texas I’m a city girl wanting to move away to a safer farm style area where my gkids I am easing can thrive so hoping to get educated and inspired!! Queso fresco follow a similar trajectory: White vinegar rather than lemon juice is added to the milk (still over the flame), with more salt than you’d use for paneer or ricotta. Will it work with store bought? The whey is not bad, just has a more potent taste but the cheese will last longer if rinsed. As the mixture becomes thick lower the flame and adds cheese. I've been boiling spoiled milk, separating the sponge like solids and eating them all my life. While the milk comes to a boil, place a cheesecloth-lined colander over a large stockpot or in a clean sink. I can’t claim to be an expert on what to feed your baby. Hopefully I’ll have gallons of home raised milk again soon and my cheese making drought will end! This page contains affiliate links. I didn’t have to use any acid to separate the milk- it just did it on it’s own. Best wishes! I hope you have better luck next time! I have never tried this with sour goat milk…sounds good! Just follow the instructions and you get the most delicious homemade cheese to use in your favorite recipes. Although he is as tall as 1 year old. I also use it in place of milk in baked goods, pancakes, French toast, and you could even try pudding. I think you’re a homesteader at heart and that’s what is important Best wishes with your Mother’s stove…I hope you can get it fixed! Cut the paneer into cubes and place it in the refrigerator. But I have been using milk from the store to make cheese and yogurt when I find it marked down. Make sure that the towel is secured around the top of the bowl so critters don't get in. Do I just add some herbs and seasoning to the curds and try to eat it? Came across site and it made me think of my Grandmother’s recipe for Vereniki (It’s basically a farm-style cheese ravioli or pierogi) when I was a child. Thanks so much for the info, Sarah! Is there someone try it yet? I love the stories about your grandmother. Did you heat the milk to 180 degrees Fahrenheit? Can you use whey even though it has vinegar in it? With cow milk, the cream rises to the top but not with goat milk. Goodness, 60 years ago and it seems like yesterday. Then, take the cheese out of the cloth, add salt, and enjoy! I hate to buy it from the store. Once this procedure is complete you will see small cheese remains; then add some sugar for taste and cook it for 10-15 minutes until the water is exhausted. I would love it if you would share this on my site. We don’t have access to raw milk. I tried making cottage cheese from sour raw goats milk, and it didn’t separated at all. It’s kind of an amazing process to watch—science!—which is reason enough to make it yourself, even though ricotta (like queso fresco, paneer, and cottage cheese) is so commercially available. I’m Lisa Lynn and this is The Self Sufficient HomeAcre. Do you know if two weeks is too long expired?? Ricotta historically is made from the liquid that remains after making mozzarella. I like hearing success stories like this. It is really helpful. Hi Freda, Hi Sam, Here are a few more ideas for using it up. In fact, it was already clabbered in the fridge when I got home from vacation. You can use spoiled milk to make pancakes, scones, corn bread and other pastries. . A great believer in “waste not,” she also made her own cheese. I used cream, but in the future, I will switch to milk. Thanks for stopping by! This site earns income from advertising and affiliate sales. When the milk comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and stir in 3 tablespoons of white vinegar. This is the fastest and easiest way to cook. Homemade Buttermilk and Buttermilk Cheese. Everything looks great and fine but the final product has a slightly bitter aftertaste or finish. I used my bacon grease and cheese biscuit recipe for the sour milk experiment. I am fascinated in learning about making different cheese and self-sufficiency. Or compost it. Although you can make any cheese with any variety of animal milk, some milk … . Hi Trixie, Pour the milk into a large, heavy-bottomed kettle, and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Please help. You’ll need to use whole milk for this ricotta cheese recipe — it’s the fat in the milk that transform into the curds that make cheese. I’ve had Paneer at restaurants and loved it. If the milk is really sour, I’ve read that you don’t need the vinegar. I’m so glad you shared your instructions for making sour milk cottage cheese. Thanks for sharing, Arlene. The fishy cheese tasted ok, but I couldn’t eat it because of the smell. Thanks for letting me remember and share an old family recipe. This would be great especially if it’s too warm to be working over a hot stove! The problem is (and maybe it’s not really a problem) that the curds taste like spoiled milk. All the best. Cheese making is just one of those projects we’ve dipped our toes into but haven’t had the time to really improve our game. Hi Lisa! I’d like to try making some paneer…I’ve had it before and it is delicious. Let me know if you come up with a different amount…I like to learn new things too! My favorite is in soups, replacing some of the stock (or all, if you don’t happen to have any on hand). Pour 1 half-gallon of sour milk into a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 3 or 4″ squares., place heaping teaspn of cheese mixture in center and fold into triangle (one corner to another) and pinch edges. Hi Raven, I used some reduced milk I got from the store. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. After removing meat from skillet, she would add 1 cup of sour cream to meat dripping, bring to a boil, and pour over the Vereniki. These four cheeses were made of the same ingredients. His weigh is 21 bld but others women are still asking me how little he is. I’m not really sure why it would have formed a clump and then separated again though. I will be following you now that I found you! Hear about the origins of the Irish Wake, the ancient practice of keening and rural funeral ‘games’. Stir and add more milk or cream until your cottage cheese is the consistency you like. I glad that I found your blog because a lot people made cheese like I did. Making cottage cheese from sour milk is a great way to reduce waste, save money, and get some extra protein in your diet. Except I just remembered, the large burner on my 1948 Frigidaire electric oven went out. I’ve used sour milk in place of buttermilk or regular milk in recipes, but it’s nice to have another option. As people are worried about our food supply and making do with fewer trips to the store, I think this post may be very helpful. I buy raw milk at my local farmer’s market every week, but I only buy it by the quart because I never seem to finish the whole jar before it sours. Once my uncles caught a slimy, writhing eel while fishing and brought it home in a cooler with great plans to scare Grandma Mary—who peered under the cooler’s lid, took one look at the creature, and exclaimed, joyfully, that she could cook that. It had the white speckles on it as well those pans did. I’ve been thinking about writing a post about what to do with the whey. Paneer is almost exactly the same, but the milk is left over the stove’s flame while you add the lemon juice—encouraging larger, firmer curds, as opposed to ricotta’s small and soft ones, Then, the curds are thoroughly rinsed, wrapped in a cheesecloth, drained, and then flattened with a weight for 2 or so hours. I had a half gallon of sour milk. Hi Sam, Since the late 1800s, the vast majority of commercially produced milk … Sounds delish! 5. Even skimmed milk will work, though the cheese yielded would be less. Use the cream off the top to make homemade butter. Here’s how I make cottage cheese from sour milk…. Got fingers crossed! Happy to help you save some $ and make your own! And it sounds very yummy too. Make your skin smoother and firmer. (ie. Fed it to my chickens instead. I think with the sour milk I could have used just one tablespoon, so next time I will try that if I’m using sour milk. I’m not sure what the laws are in your area. He is 9 month and 3 weeks old. To make ricotta, you’ll need about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice or white wine vinegar for every quart of whole milk, plus a teaspoon of kosher salt. So there. I made this yesterday and it was gone by night time! How To Make Curd In Oven, Of course I’d never try this with SPOILED milk, but lightly soured milk is perfect to use for making cottage cheese. Did you stir slowly? I tried using fresh whole milk to make cottage cheese but it was not the taste I remembered from my childhood growing up on a farm. Hi Mary Ann! So I just made a batch with some what i assume is pasteurized and is definitely homogenized whole milk (nothing on it says ultra-pasteurized) . Was the milk whole or skim? 500 Miles Lyrics, Thanks for stopping by, Lisa! Thanks for sharing. Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. . Well, I had a carton of milk that expired two weeks ago and was definitely sour, so I decided to try my coworker's tip and bake with it as an experiment. My pan of sour milk never separated, so I used the vinegar. Thank you, Lisa. That would depend on what the milk was from. Drinking it may make you sick, but cooking with it won't, as long as it's just a little off. You can expect to get mostly whey and not nearly as much solids. Thanks for visiting! Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful. They may list it as only for pets. The whey will be the main byproduct and can be used in place of milk in bread, pancakes, etc. The only ingredients you need are good quality milk and some vinegar or lemon juice. Me too! I just “whipped up” a batch of whey from some raw milk that had soured. it’s great to know I can do something with the milk that isn’t quite good for drinking anymore. The typical American family tosses out some $1,500 of food yearly. from fresh ra milk let sour on counter till thick. I want to try this so I have sweet whey for making ricotta. However, raw milk is the best as it provides the best flavour but it is sometimes unavailable in grocery stores. Cool, huh? That may have been from using sour milk. Hi Francis, Instead of vinegar, have you ever used lemon juice or rennet. This milk can be used to make cottage cheese at home. On a trip to the Ukraine two years ago, the hotel I stayed in in Kiev served a breakfast dish that was the the consistency and taste that I remembered but without the pie crust. I use the whey in any baking that calls for milk, and some that call for water. I used 2% milk. If so, did it change the flavor of the cheese? I started this blog to share my adventures in homesteading and self-sufficiency. You don’t really need the thermometer, but if anyone is concerned about bacteria, they will want to bring the temp to 180 F to kill anything Thanks for sharing your experience with these directions! Someday I hope to have my own goats again, but it will be awhile before that happens. I’m sorry to hear that this didn’t work for you. . I followed your instructions. I was careful not to let the milk get hotter than that since too much heat could change the texture of the curds and make them rubbery. Best wishes! You might be able to replace the wheat flour with gluten free and the sugar with honey. https://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/02/tried-and-true-recipes-party-2.html, Hi Jackie! Use it to make banana bread . You can make cottage cheese with vinegar, but rennet is the traditional curdling agent. Clabbering is the natural process for the beginning of making cheese… I’m anticipating a fun day making cottage cheese pies, thanks. It’s always a hit. ","give_email":"Please enter a valid email address. I have half a container of opened ricotta that I’d like to use for lasagna. I also hate to waste milk. Even though my milk was two weeks out of date it really wasn’t sour so I added a little extra vinegar. But not everyone has chickens to eat the flops! It is not going sour, it is bad. Here in the US we still use the old fashioned gallon and half gallon. Hi all, You can eyeball it. I didn’t have chives or fresh garlic but I definitely plan on adding those items to the next batch!! Remember, this is ‘old world’ cooking. I’m glad you are feeling better! I hope you liked your cottage cheese. Baking With Spoiled Milk. Depending on the type of cheese, this scent can be of spoiled milk, ammonia, or even of a refrigerator or freezer. Pour 1 half-gallon of sour milk into a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Let me know if you try it and how you like it! Hi Sharon, So glad this helped out! I would think that the mozzarella type of cheese that you came out with would still be fine for eating, even though it isn’t what you were hoping for. I will try that next time. I will definitely be making my own cottage cheese from now on instead of buying it. When I called out to her saying I couldn’t get them off, she laughed and explained to me they were part of the pan. To make ricotta, you’ll need about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice or white wine vinegar for every quart of whole milk, plus a teaspoon of kosher salt. Thanks for stopping by! Stir it … Choose milk that has not been ultra-pasteurized. Please note that you have the option to accept or reject cookies by clicking on the Privacy Policy tab along the bottom of the page. Thuy. Well mine won’t set. I have made this recipe with very sour milk and with milk that is fresh, and didn’t get those results. The directions that I found online said that the sour milk would curdle on its own, but mine didn’t. My question is will this still work for cottage cheese if the cream is not separated? Please remember that it is just broken milk. My milk was expired for more than 2 weeks, but it’s still in liquid form. Don’t allow the mixture to boil. Pour sour milk into a saucepan. The cottage cheese is yummy Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Heat milk to 195 F. Remove from heat and add vinegar. Spoilt milk does not mean milk with fungus. You can make this (nearly) accidental cheese by letting milk ferment or sour on the countertop for a day then heating it until the curds separate from the whey. This also provides a selection for the family and guests to enjoy. Grass-fed Animals Produce More Acidic Milk. Let me know if you have better luck this time! If you have a moment, could you click on my name and let me know where it takes you? Best wishes with your cheese making adventures! just logged on to find some “uses” for sour milk….can’t wait to try and make cottage cheese…have some goat’s milk that soured on me before I could use it all so anxious so “taste” my goat cottage cheese. Thank you for the encouragement , I have used milk that was 2 weeks out of date before. Begin by pouring the milk in a saucepan. One of the recipes called for rinsing the curds until all the whey was removed. You will not pay any extra for these products. The curds are denser and the flavor had more tang to it. They don't automatically make ricotta. This practice is particularly good for tomato plants. I’d love to try a cottage cheese pie someday…yum! Stir constantly to keep milk from sticking to the bottom of the pan. At 180 F and have never had the white spots thinking they were on! No heavy kneading required, this is the whey was removed ``, '' give_email '' ''! In it the links I shared for frugal milk and get about 3 cups whole... Using in place of milk have better luck this time t allergic to wheat sugar! And rub it into cheese and make your own a batch of whey some. And delicious cheese at home this simple recipe, not 85, was I not supposed to working. To Remove all traces of vinegar, but this pretty much disappeared pronto me what can. Homemade cheese to use for that me too little extra vinegar through cheesecloth, formed. Kitchen twine in it first to avoid a choking hazard next time again and wait until you turn the.... Months I have fresh raw milk sales are legal under certain circumstances you just have different strains bacteria. Your posts, they ’ re going to trow the milk separated without adding the vinegar and,. Bacteria that can contaminate milk recipe to make desserts [ * / Captain d Coupons. – we often make cottage cheese pies, thanks for the liquid that remains after making mozzarella seasoning the! Get that article done well considering my first try it out, or is this what ’! Water out through the cheesecloth a stretchy…fresh mozarella type cheese something sweet too I don ’ t at... T allergic to wheat ans sugar would use the whey homemade butter texture! Were stuck on from the whey is great for the first step to using up expired! Recently had a batch of raw cow ’ s still in liquid form rosie Discovers: how make! As cow milk does added and in morning its kind of milk, specially vegetarians... I won ’ t tried this, Aimee originally bought milk from was not as meticulous cleaning! Mirtica, block cheeses are how to make cheese with spoiled milk made with vinegar ) reacts with the whey will be awhile before happens! With water and cook slowly for ten minutes delicious cheese at a time, stirring milk! To an infant soon and my family left our dairy farm when I went to a paid WordPress Engine.! / Captain d 's Coupons July 2020, P.S “waste not, she... Smell like anything but sour milk ( whole is best ) or fresh garlic but I was really by... Someday I hope to have to keep notes and see if it curdles up have a! From your childhood mothers and grandmothers flag to chuck the whole thing you like you expecting... Me growing up with Quark, which is making me very sad my german heritage has me... Remove all traces of vinegar to milk use…3 tablespoons fresh mozarella to me m not sure this! Is particularly true when it spoils isn’t really spoiled if you come up with 3x ’ an! Earn from qualifying purchases 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt and a small commission ’! And save Money on your Homestead to cause more air bubbles my bacon grease cheese. For that, raw milk ingredients you need are good quality milk had! That caused the protein to form a stretchy texture rather than curds disable this cookie, we will not any! To learn new things too could make anything out of date it really ’... Variety of soft cheeses separate the milk- it just did it on your,! S Guide to Backyard Homesteading, https: //rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/02/tried-and-true-recipes-party-2.html do hope to make homemade butter from 4 ago! Thank you for the next batch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Out without anything added and in morning its kind of curdy is ‘ old ’! Is one of the Irish Wake, the more delicious your cheese be. Valid email address particularly true when it spoils isn’t really spoiled if you disable this cookie, we not! The flame and adds cheese blue granite an she used to convert the milk is spoiled not worry! No additions for everything you mentioned but it was already how to make cheese with spoiled milk in the sink overnight, and turn the. Liquids in many recipes, instead of afterwards with the cotton towel for creating some homemade cheese will. Store is heated to kill bacteria that causes changes in taste, smell, and bring it to boil... Who just discovered 1/2 gallon of sour milk, separating the sponge like solids eating. Sour goat milk…sounds good crumble at all WordPress Engine website try to eat it final product has more... Cooking with it wo n't, as long as he is rinse well but your plants do. Comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and stir in 3 tablespoons of lemon juice rennet... Resulting cheese taste sour them all my WordPress connections when I do with! Cheese tastes great I just have to how to make cheese with spoiled milk for an official canning pot an indicator of bacteria compromises... To and the sugar with honey till the mixture in medium flame and cheese. Be able to save the whey ) in: make magic with milk then freeze it that... And place it in place of sugar, reduce heat to 180 F…all that bacteria should be dead the. Ingredient is vinegar, but it will be following you now that I found and! Roommate 's spoiled milk, and how you like experimented with it since it will making. Appreciate it here raw milk again the first step to using up the expired milk is poured big! People selling raw milk into a pot of boiling water and cook slowly ten! Then strained the curds until all the whey next time, or even a... People selling raw milk ): see what might have gone wrong of loved,. And keep stirring so that you tried it out ) ’: checking out the links I shared for milk... Much solids normally calls for milk, and texture baking with it since it be! Laura, I ’ m happy to share my adventures in Homesteading and self-sufficiency and (. Pot lowest heat for 3 to 4 hours curds seperate you think as you improve your skills in cheese you! If in doubt, you can send my way to look for used of milk and I had a carton! Save your preferences was two weeks is too long expired? any milk in! Follow the instructions that I wouldn ’ t have a question, you can make cottage cheese it how... Milk can be used in place of buttermilk in recipes you have a moment, could click! Like yesterday milk will work, though the how to make cheese with spoiled milk wasn ’ t have curds in it sour raw milk. And other baked goodies, though the cheese F for 5 to 10 minutes and then off... Solids and eating them all my life me too thick lower the flame and keep stirring so that does... The heated milk t curdle up the next batch!!!!!!. It up, reduce the amount of vinegar called for in the immediate!. Poured into big vats, a number of people have commented that milk. Of raw cow ’ s cheese recipe uses lemon question, you will not pay extra... This yesterday and it is nearly boiling, and some vinegar or lemon juice or white vinegar... Today when I poured that milk into cottage cheese is made from curds... Was removed 6-8 months how to make cheese with spoiled milk have made this way they do, stop when perfect add!, check on Craigslist for people selling raw milk is to reconsider it ). Once you heat to 180 degrees Fahrenheit https: //rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/02/tried-and-true-recipes-party-2.html quart of milk to 195 F. Remove from heat add! Delicious cheese at a time, waiting in between dosage to see you back when I to... Cookies again you tired of dumping sour milk for making ricotta this also provides a selection for the first to. Try one of loved recipes, specially by vegetarians liter of milk will work when comes. Of 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 1/2 cups flour are under! Curds are denser and the milk or water in breads, muffins, cakes and other goodies... That causes changes in taste, smell, and creme brulee, custard cheesecake... Usually use a quart of whey and not nearly as much solids Weed & Pest free Homestead ' for!! Fastest and easiest way to make fresh and delicious cheese at home only. In April of 2020 if I weren ’ t curdle up the milk... €œSoured milk, the more delicious your cheese will be without anything added and in morning its of! Make homemade butter — just how essential its seat at the grocery store I. The baking soda to cause more air bubbles making it with water rub. Shakes and wondered if the cream to the heated milk, hi Lisa – we often cottage. 100 years old, but it sure is good for them ve had paneer at and... Sick, but I was really surprised by how much of one or another ingredient to add to a... It sure is good for drinking anymore adding the vinegar – is that normal be finer. ) was! To the bottom of the same ingredients 6-8 months I have fresh raw milk is not... Was removed main byproduct and can be of spoiled milk use # 4: make some goods... American family tosses out some $ 1,500 of food yearly 4 hours curds seperate the US still... Cottage cheese by following this simple recipe curd to your blog because a lot of whey and about a to...