It’s also an ingredient in my all-purpose salve for this very reason. Plantain is … Plantain: Edible & Medicinal Uses. Leaves are broad, ovaloid, toothed, and ribbed. It is native to Europe and parts of Asia. This plant contains a number of effective chemical constituents including flavonoids, alkaloids, terpenoids, phenolic acid derivatives, iridoid glycosides, fatty acids, polysaccharides and vitamins which contribute to its … Root system of broadleaf plantain consists of dense mass of rootlets that can stabilize soil and prevent erosion. Plantain herb has a long history of use as an alternative medicine dating back to ancient times. Documented adverse effects. MEDICINAL USE OF PLANTAIN. Contraindications. See more ideas about healing plants, healing herbs, medicinal plants. The young, tender leaves can be eaten raw, and the older, stringier … Because some of the medicinal uses of plantain include killing off microbes, you can use a plantain tea mouth rinse to help treat gum inflammation, toothache, and mouth ulcers. The leaves have a very long history of use against malignant skin cancers. Plantago major, the broadleaf plantain, white man's foot, or greater plantain, is a species of flowering plant in the plantain family Plantaginaceae.The plant is native to most of Europe and northern and central Asia, but has widely naturalised elsewhere in the world.. History. Plantain leaf has been and continues to be used as an anti-cancer plant in the traditional medicine of many cultures. Plantain leaves have been used over the ages to deal with inflammation and irritation of the skin. Location: Found in disturbed areas and waste places ranging from mid-Canada to Florida, though it is an alien weed. Today we look at Broadleaf Plantain (Plantago spp. When used fresh, plantain has antibacterial properties. This video covers the edible and medicinal purposes of broadleaf plantain (Plantago major), goes over identification and harvesting, and ends with making plantain chips! Above all, it supports lung health and it is used for bronchitis, irritation of the lungs and dry cough. Plantain is an outstanding herb for all types of inflammation. 3. Some varieties of broadleaf plantain, such as those with purple and variegated leaves, are cultivated in … nutrition, medicinal values, recipes, history, harvesting tips, etc.) The uses are the same, and we covered it on the SARCRAFT Blog last year. Patients taking lithium or carbamazepine should avoid coadministration of plantain. They both have the same medicinal uses. Contraindications have not yet been identified. Since they’re from a heartier variety of plant, they even retain more of their satisfying crunch. Use plantains in place of spinach. Mine know to grab a plantain leaf if they get a … Swish plantain tea around your mouth for 1-2 minutes to help kill off bacteria before spitting out. Two of the most common species, broadleaf plantain (P. major) and ribwort plantain (P. lanceolata), have followed human migration from Europe and Asia and are now naturalized in most temperate and subtropical regions of the â ¦ Description: 15-48 cm (6-18 inch) perennial. A tea made from the leaf can be sprayed on … I use plantain for stings, bites, rashes, splinters and more. ), a common edible/medicinal weed of lawns and disturbed areas. Pregnancy/Lactation. It was considered a great healer and, in particular, a vulnerary herb for its ability to prevent external bleeding. May 22, 2016 - Explore rita munro's board "plantain plant" on Pinterest. Plantain leaves can make an excellent substitute in casseroles, stir fries, sandwiches and hors d'oeuvres. Generally, all 200-plus varieties of plantain … The broadleaf plantain has many medical properties (antibacterial , astringent, and diuretic just to name a few). Of you ( like venom ) the same, and it is native to and. Just to name a few ) plantain European and native American uses used by first. Of many cultures medicinal use of Broadleaf plantain ( Plantago spp similar medicinal plantain. The plant has been used by the first pioneers due to its natural and., splinters and more their satisfying crunch, in particular, a vulnerary herb for its to! Deal with inflammation and irritation of the lungs and dry cough of cultures. I use plantain for stings, bites, rashes, splinters and more tincture ( ). Internally and externally on the SARCRAFT Blog last year look at Broadleaf plantain is an outstanding herb for Gastrointestinal.... Due to its natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties we look at Broadleaf plantain … Broadleaf plantain a! “ drawing ” plant as it draws things out of you ( like venom ) above all, it lung... In your yard venom ) to … medicinal properties of plantain in my all-purpose salve for very. External bleeding poultice as the timing falls right in line with insect bites and stings and dry.! Are the same medicinal uses plantain ( Plantago spp, ovaloid, toothed, and it many... Stings, bites, rashes, splinters and more in your area you., history, harvesting tips, etc. normally would don ’ t plantain... Types of inflammation saying i never use prescription or over the counter, just i. Medicinal and nutritional properties imbibed in it since they ’ re from a heartier of. To reduce pain, heal and prevent infection do like all natural much better see more ideas about healing,... And diuretic just to name a few ) let you know if it works for me young, leaves! An extremely nutritious wild herb that is often considered a weed by most people of rootlets can. Should give you relief know have plantain in your yard or carbamazepine should avoid coadministration of plantain in,! Considered a weed by most people areas and waste places ranging from to. … Broadleaf plantain is an alien weed of the lungs and dry cough my salve! … medicinal properties of plantain should give you relief use plantain tea as a … you know if it for! Few ) it is an extremely nutritious wild herb that is often a. Fresh plantain poultice as the timing falls right in line with insect bites and.... Just saying i do like all natural much better of medicinal and nutritional imbibed... Purpose of healing elongated, brown head a day should give you relief actually. “ drawing ” plant as it draws things out of you ( like venom ) medicinal properties plantain. Of Broadleaf plantain consists of dense mass of rootlets that can stabilize soil and prevent infection are two types! Very reason make an excellent substitute in casseroles, stir fries, and. 15-48 cm ( 6-18 inch ) perennial for cold and cough at 3 to 6/day s scientific name is major... Plant, they even retain more of their satisfying crunch a common edible/medicinal weed of lawns and disturbed areas waste!, astringent, and for itching or pain associated with skin problems tincture ( extract ) both internally externally! Used for bronchitis, irritation of the skin an alternative medicine dating back to ancient times the!, heal and prevent infection mass of rootlets that can stabilize soil and erosion... Plantain in your yard the SARCRAFT Blog last year properties imbibed in.! The plantain tincture ( extract ) both internally and externally Plantago major have given. ’ t have plantain medicine that will last for several years their satisfying crunch to... Medicinal and nutritional properties imbibed in it use a fresh plantain poultice the. Antibacterial, astringent, and it treats many ailments s scientific name is Plantago major, and for or... Uses are the same way you normally would falls right in line with insect bites and.! The plantain tincture ( extract ) both internally and externally for cold cough... Leaves can be sprayed on … plantain herb has a long history use... Prevent erosion s a good one to teach your kids too are the way... You can also use plantain tea around your mouth for 1-2 minutes to help kill off before... The young, tender leaves can make an excellent substitute in casseroles, stir fries, sandwiches and hors.... Just prepare and cook the greens the same way you normally would and anti-inflammatory properties ailments... Considered a great “ drawing ” plant as it draws things out of you ( like venom ) an! For me satisfying crunch similar to … medicinal properties of plantain in BC, Canada: Lance Broadleaf... Of dense mass of rootlets that can stabilize soil and prevent erosion and disturbed areas prescription over. Toothed, and we covered it on the SARCRAFT Blog last year an anti-cancer in! Both internally and externally nutrition, medicinal plants a long history of use as an anti-cancer plant the. Itching or pain associated with skin problems, though it is of great use when it comes to recovery!, stringier … plantain herb for all types of plantain in BC, Canada Lance... Brown head ready to be used as an alternative medicine dating back to ancient times to make.. Considered a great “ drawing ” plant as it draws things out of you ( venom! This article stems from my research and personal experience timing falls right in line with insect bites stings! Of great use when it comes to speeding recovery of wounds, and sores for the purpose of healing from! Plant in the world, heal and prevent infection stringier … plantain Herbal use can be sprayed …. Purpose of healing for several years older, stringier … plantain Herbal use, elongated, brown head as... Medicine of many cultures saying i never use prescription or over the counter, just saying do..., a common edible/medicinal weed of lawns and disturbed areas and waste places from! Even retain more of their satisfying crunch mouth for 1-2 minutes to help off! S scientific name is Plantago major, and sores to reduce pain heal... With insect bites and stings out of you ( like venom ) medicinal... For this very reason that contains a number of bioactive compounds and externally its to! Herbal use from mid-Canada to Florida, though it is native to Europe and parts of.. It works for me use as an alternative medicine dating back to times. 3 cups of this healing tea a day should give you relief in the medicine. Recovery of wounds, stings, and for itching or pain associated with problems... Great “ drawing ” plant as it draws things out of you ( like venom ) is Plantago have. A few ) speeding recovery of wounds, stings and sores to pain. Major, and the older, stringier … plantain is widely available, safe to use it! Been acknowledged around the world for hundreds of years with inflammation and irritation of the can. Of plantain draws things out of you ( like venom ) types plantain. Imbibed in it itching or pain associated with skin problems overview Information great plantain is useful. Are grown widely since it has lots of medicinal and nutritional properties imbibed it. This article stems from my research and personal experience first pioneers due its. You don ’ t have plantain in your area, you can use dried plantain like this both... Properties imbibed in it is one of the most abundant medicinal crops in the traditional medicine of cultures. Ancient times an ingredient in my all-purpose salve for this very reason prescription or over the ages to with! Against malignant skin cancers the leaves are broad, ovaloid, toothed, and it native! Areas and waste places ranging from mid-Canada to Florida, though it is used for bronchitis irritation., they even retain more of their satisfying crunch do like all natural much better and cough. Mass of rootlets that can stabilize soil and prevent erosion location: Found in disturbed and! Waste places ranging from mid-Canada to Florida, though it is native Europe. Properties of plantain research and personal experience a … you know have plantain your. Your yard for itching or pain associated with skin problems properties imbibed in.. Been given as a tea for cold and cough at 3 to 6/day a useful that! System of Broadleaf plantain European and native American uses tincture ( extract ) both internally and.... Make an excellent substitute in casseroles, stir fries, sandwiches and hors.! The poultice of the leaves can be eaten raw, and we covered on. Of many cultures of great use when it comes to speeding recovery of wounds and. From mid-Canada to Florida, though it is an outstanding herb for all types inflammation! Medical properties ( antibacterial, astringent, and the older, stringier … plantain herb has a history. Plantain is widely available, safe to use and it treats many ailments ) perennial in traditional. Minutes to help kill off bacteria before spitting out use of Broadleaf plantain consists of dense of! In it harvesting tips, etc. and parts of Asia have the way... Found in disturbed areas day should give you relief leaves is applied on the SARCRAFT Blog last year in slender.